Library Associate - Adult Services
FLSA non-exempt, bargaining unit
Adult Services – Main Library
Full-time (40 hours/week)
Starting Hourly Rate
Posted on May 15, 2019.
Applications for the position will be accepted for a minimum of 10 calendar days from the original date of posting.
The Stark Library is seeking an experienced, outgoing, customer service-oriented team member to fill an opportunity as a Library Associate in the Adult Services department at our Main Library location.
The Library Associate staff member is primarily responsible for providing direct public service at the various service points at Mainas well as performing advanced level clerical support, including specialized customer services (e.g., Book an Expert or scheduled, in-depth patron help sessions).
In addition, this senior-level clerical position will also be responsible for providing leadership and training to other clerical staff.
Successful candidates will have the necessary capabilities to perform the advanced-level clerical work of this role as well as demonstrate a strong customer service orientationin a manner that supports our mission and service to the diverse communities in which we operate.
If you want to work for a mission-driven organization and believe you may be a good fit for this position (detailed job description, below), please go to Stark Library website - www.starklibrary.org - for more information and to complete an employment application. Go to “Contact” and then “Employment” for access to our on-line application.
About Stark Library
Stark Library serves over 118,707 active cardholders, annually circulating 4 million items from its 1.7 million item collection and providing access to an additional 61 million items from lending networks throughout Ohio. Each year the library presents more than 8,000 programs for 150,000 attendees and provides 200,000 computer sessions on the publicly available computers found in each branch. The system consists of ten branches, including our main library, as well as a mobile services department.
An employee serving in this position advances the mission of the Library by providing direct public service. This role is responsible for performing advanced level clerical support and providing leadership and training to other clerical staff. This position may also include responsibility for specialized customer services (e.g., Book an Expert) both in-house and to support outreach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Is typically the initial point of contact for most patrons/customers and spends majority of time providing customer assistance “on the floor”.
- Proactively promotes library services and offerings to patrons.
- Assists patrons with and demonstrates all library service and collection platforms, and is an advanced user of platforms.
- Leads other staff in implementing new services.
- Provides instruction on platforms in area of specialization.
- Performs advanced searches through both public and ILS interfaces.
- Assists patrons with basic informational questions using common internet search techniques or prepared reference resources. May provide intermediate to advanced reference assistance in area of specialization.
- Demonstrates and assists patrons with print and online reference tools, including Reader’s Advisory resources.
- Assists patrons in accessing and using document machines, library computers and library-supported software, and troubleshoots intermediate to advanced technical problems. May provide advanced assistance in area of specialization.
- Performs transactional services (e.g., notary, passport) that have defined rules, limited or specific answers, and/or detailed process guidelines.
- Facilitates special support and services that include open-ended interactions requiring analysis, additional data gathering, independent judgment/decision-making and may have multiple “right” answers or possible outcomes (e.g., Book an Expert).
- Performs all direct patron and material circulation functions.
- Has responsibility for regularly implementing record maintenance tasks
- Has in-depth understanding of ILS Circulation Module, and troubleshoots complex ILS issues.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex patron account issues, in consultation with Manager.
- Contributes to improving and implementing system-wide circulation procedures.
- May assist in shelving as needed.
- Assists with the merchandising of materials. May have responsibility over a specific display area.
- Pulls materials from a list to assist with collection management or circulation tasks.
- May make collection decisions over a portion of a collection area [e.g., CD/DVD materials, etc.], under direction of the Manager or Librarian.
- May fulfill Educator Units under guidance of a Librarian or Manager.
Group Services: Internal and External
- Leads or assists with internal and external group program set up.
- Introduces patrons to internal, passive programs and related materials.
- Assists other staff in external promotional activities.
- Trains other staff members in clerical responsibilities.
- Contributes to system-wide planning, development and training initiatives.
- Coordinates with Manager and Librarian(s) to guide other staff regarding services, programs, and collections within area(s) of expertise.
- May assist with training of staff members.
- Serves on library committees as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
Technical / Functional Skills
- Ability to provide specialized, open-ended customer service support in one or more areas without assistance from other staff.
- Ability to fulfill or assist others with fulfilling Educator Units.
- Advanced familiarity with library services and operations.
- Ability to perform advanced functions using the library circulation system and service platforms.
- Troubleshoot s complex circulation or patron issues.
- Advanced knowledge of collection platforms.
- Ability to learn and obtain certification in passport processing.
- Demonstrates advanced level literacy with respect to standard computer and office software.
- Ability to sort and file alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language by phone or in person in a one-to-one setting.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to assist with the training of other staff in responsibilities of Substitute, Library Clerk, Library Assistant, and/or Library Associate.
Education and Experience
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Years of relevant experience: 3 or more years of related experience is preferred.
- Certifications or licensure: Ohio drivers’ license and ability to maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Library’s liability insurance carrier is required in the Mobile Services Department.
- Previous experience working as a Library Clerk or Library Assistant is required.
- Experience with the principles and practices of customer service is required.
- Experience with library circulation systems and procedures is required.
- Experience in public library or public-sector organizations is required.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- The library environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices, which includes the need for general safe workplace practices with office equipment and computers, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations. When this position is within the Mobiles Services department work performed on vehicles (e.g., bookmobiles) is done in close quarters that, at times, may be in motion as teams travel from stop to stop. Additionally, this work is done year-round in vehicles furnished with heat and air conditioning.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- This position is performed mainly in the public and office areas of the Library although some off-site meetings in various other locations may occur (e.g., school visits, etc.). When this position is within the Mobile Services department it is performed mainly in the mobile services vehicles as well as public and office areas of the Library although some off-site meetings in various other locations may occur.
- Work is generally completed during Library days and hours of operations which may vary by location and time of year. There may be the occasional need to attend meetings or events and/or respond to critical situations outside of this schedule, including before or after normal Library days and hours of operation.
- Work requires the ability to lift light objects [less than 20 pounds] and carry them short distances [20 feet or less] and, within Mobile Services particularly, load/unload materials and equipment in all weather conditions.
- Work requires the ability to push a fully loaded book cart (typically weighing at least 20lbs or more) for distances of at least 20 feet.
- This position may require an employee to remain in a standing or seated position for extended periods of time while performing a variety of tasks.
- Employees must be able to perform repetitive hand, arm, and body movements, including typing and/or lifting books, on a continuous basis.
- Work requires reaching overhead and bending/kneeling to shelve books weighing up to three pounds.
- Travel by personal automobile or, in the case of Mobile Services positions a Library-owned automobile or truck, and a valid State of Ohio driver’s license along with the ability to maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Library’s liability insurance carrier may be required, depending on the position’s specific duties. Some travel by personal vehicle and/or occasional overnight travel may also be required.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by an individual working in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.