Librarian with Children's Emphasis - Jackson
Master with Children’s Emphasis
(Bargaining Unit, FLSA non-exempt)
Jackson Township Branch
Full-time (40 hours/week)
Starting Hourly Rate:
Posted on December 1, 2017. Internal applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm on December 10, 2017.
Make the smart choice by exploring opportunities with the Stark County District Library! The Stark County District Library - The Smart Store, where everything is free® – is a store of knowledge with an abundance of resources at your fingertips…all for free!
The Stark County District Library seeks a customer service oriented individual to fill an opportunity as a Librarian with Children’s Emphasis at our Jackson Township Branch location.
Successful candidates will have proven knowledge of and experience with children’s collection materials, outreach services, literacy-based programming, and early literacy tools and resources. Candidates should enjoy working with the public and be able to demonstrate a strong customer orientation that supports our mission and service to the diversity of communities in which we operate.
If you have a passion for customer service in a library environment, please go to The Smart Store® website - www.starklibrary.org - for more information and to complete an employment application. Go to “Contact Us” and then “Employment” for access to our on-line application.
An employee serving in this position advances the mission of the Library by performing a full range of professional library work at the Main Library or one of the branch libraries, mobile services or outreach departments. Work is performed independently in accordance with general policies and accepted professional library practices. This employee is accountable to a Library Manager, with whom he or she collaborates to discuss plans, problems, and available resources. Performance is evaluated on the basis of results achieved. The Librarian may serve as a shift supervisor in the absence of the Library Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity;
- Demonstrates commitment to STAR values in all interactions with customers, community residents, and colleagues; (Service, Teamwork, Adaptability, Respect);
- Answers questions and assists library users in locating desired information, resources, or library materials;
- Performs readers advisory services by recommending books, movies or music that customers might enjoy;
- Uses a wide variety of methods to highlight items in the collection and encourage their use;
- Maintains the library collection through weeding and selection recommendations;
- Plans and presents programs, workshops, and classes for library users;
- Represents the library in the community by making presentations, attending community meetings, serving on community boards or task forces;
- Contributes content to the library’s web site and various library publications;
- Seeks information from users and potential users of information and library materials about their library needs and interests;
- Actively seeks opportunities to promote the Library with the goal of increasing public use of programs and resources, and enhancing the Library’s visibility as a vital community partner;
- Formulates goals, plans and procedures and accepts responsibility for the overall effectiveness of a project or one or more of aspects of library service within the Main Library or a branch or department;
- Explains use of library facilities, resources, equipment, and services;
- Interprets library policies, objectives, and procedures;
- Keeps accurate, up to date work records and produce written reports;
- May monitor performance of library staff or volunteers;
- May train library staff or volunteers;
- Participates in library committee work;
- When assigned to Technical Services, may:
- Select materials for purchase or lease based on established selection criteria and the needs of library users;
- Catalog library materials or digital content in accordance with bibliographic parameters and standards;
- Assist with the training of Bachelor classification employees assigned to Technical Services.
- May assume the responsibilities of the Library Manager in his or her absence; and
- This position may require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending on the work location, assignment or shift.
- Customer service principles and techniques.
- Library circulation system and procedures.
- Professional library theories, issues and trends;
- Principles and practices of public library operations and library materials selection;
- Principles and practices of employee supervision and training;
- Specific subject field or type of library material;
- Computerized cataloging, bibliographical and circulation system databases;
- Library professional publications and the literature of librarianship; and
- Research techniques and practices.
- Demonstrate technology proficiency at the intermediate level;
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance, observing a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as assigned;
- Communicate in the English language by phone, email, online or in person in a one-to-one or group setting;
- Work cooperatively with other employees and the general public;
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material;
- Adapt to changing work priorities;
- Analyze professional problems and take appropriate action;
- Analyze, evaluate and appropriately select specialized and advanced level library materials as well as popular level materials in all formats;
- Find answers to specialized and advanced level reference questions;
- Keep up-to-date with current professional issues and developments;
- Supervise the work of others through planning, organizing, instructing and motivating;
- Monitor the performance of designated staff;
- Communicate effectively and work proactively to attain solutions;
- Comprehend, use and apply current technology in a public library setting;
- Effectively coordinate library programs, projects and/or services; and
- Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
- Individuals must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
A Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution is preferred; however, other equivalent combinations of education, knowledge and demonstrated ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities may be substituted.
- The library environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices, which includes the need for general safe workplace practices with office equipment and computers, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations;
- Lift light objects (less than 20 pounds) and carry them short distances (20 feet or less);
- Reach overhead and bend/kneel to shelve books weighing up to three pounds;
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time while performing a variety of tasks; and
- Perform repetitive hand, arm, and body movements, including lifting books on a continuous basis for up to an eight-hour shift.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by an individual working in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
About The Stark County District Library - The Smart Store, where everything is free®
Stark County District Library serves over 105,000 active cardholders, annually circulating 3.85 million items from its 1.4 million item collection and providing access to an additional 66 million items from lending networks throughout Ohio. Each year the library presents more than 9,000 programs for 170,000 attendees and provides 260,000 computer sessions on the publicly available computers found in each branch. The system consists of ten branches, including our main library, as well as a mobile services department.