Senior IT Technician
Senior IT Technician
Full-time (40 hours/week)
Posted on November 7, 2017. Internal applications will be accepted through November 16, 2017 at 5pm.
Make the smart choice by exploring opportunities with the Stark County District Library!
The Stark County District Library - The Smart Store, where everything is free® – is a store of knowledge with an abundance of resources at your fingertips…all for free!
The Stark County District Library, based in Canton, Ohio, is seeking a skilled and service-oriented professional to fill a Senior IT Technician position. Successful candidates will have a proven background in the technical aspects of IT endpoint deployment and support as well as strong organizational and communication skills.
The Senior IT Technician is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt position, reporting to the IT Manager. Compensation includes a competitive salary commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and a generous benefits package.
If you believe you may be a good fit for this position or know someone who would be, please go to The Smart Store® website - www.starklibrary.org - for more information and to complete an employment application. Go to “Contact Us” and then “Employment” for access to our on-line application.
An employee serving in this position advances the mission of the Library by implementing technology and assisting library staff and patrons with technology, including, but not limited to, such things as computer and/or telecommunications hardware, software, and network problems or questions related to workstation computing, smart phones, and other emerging technologies/systems. The Senior IT Technician provides such assistance over the phone, but can also be involved in field troubleshooting, training assistance, or other methods of support. This role works in conjunction with other IT staff to provide daily oversight and effective coordination of the organization’s Help Desk resources to ensure that library staff and patrons receive timely and high quality assistance with computer and/or telecommunications hardware, software, and network problems or questions related to workstation computing. Incumbents use a variety of online monitoring and diagnostic software tools, reference manuals, vendors, and on-the-job experience to solve problems and provide "how-to" instructions.
The Senior IT Technician is also responsible for overseeing core IT activities, including, but not limited to, contract enforcement and administration and maintenance, equipment recommendation and purchasing, and license compliance. This role may also provide advanced level support and assist with IT projects or system-wide initiatives that involve technology and may be asked to help with or provide basic level back-up to system administration work as appropriate. Work is performed under the supervision of the Information Technology Department Manager and performance is evaluated based on observation and results achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In general, all work is expected to be performed with a high level of skill and independence within the framework of supervision of the IT Department Manager, the libraries policies and procedures, and the IT Department’s stated technology goals and objectives.
- Responds to requests from computer users regarding hardware, software, telecommunications (voice, data, video), or network connection problems or questions
- Resolves problems or provides "how-to" instructions using a variety of online monitoring and diagnostic software tools, reference manuals, vendors, and on-the-job experience
- Refers the more difficult problems or non-routine requests to other technical support staff or supervisors when appropriate
- Places service calls with vendors and coordinates service for the user
- Advises users of the on-going status of their request, and places follow-up calls to ensure that satisfactory service was provided
- Repairs, reconfigures, assembles, integrates, and tests basic and complex systems, configurations and networks
- Updates and revises reference materials and work procedures
- Learns the functions and operation of new products, systems, or equipment by attending training or through tutorials or self-instruction
- Produces basic statistical or work-activity reports by generating computer queries or gathering and assembling data
- Project Implementation
- Provides support or assistance on technology-related projects internal to IT and/or system-wide in the following areas:
- Endpoint deployment (voice, data, video, A/V)
- Library automation deployment
- Software image creation and management
- Group policy implementation
- WSUS server / software deployment
- Investigating new equipment options
- Technology training coordination for staff Purchasing recommendations
- User experience consistency
- IT Administration
- Prioritizes requests or problems according to established criteria and enters relevant data into a computerized user-request tracking system
- Workstation requests coordination
- Contract administration, oversight and compliance
- License compliance
- Workstation, endpoint user, and department documentation
- Systems Administration
- Assist system administrators with projects and/or on-going IT activities as appropriate
- Cross-train on basic system administration tasks to provide backup in case of emergencies or overflow capacity when system administrators are busy
- Provide basic-level back-up in emergencies
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity
- Seeks technical solutions that are customer-centric – intuitive, efficient, simple to use – rather than just technically sufficient
- Is continually looking for opportunities to improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the department and the organization
- May serve on committees or taskforces
- May assist Technology Training Department with training development and training of staff and volunteers
- This position may require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending on the work location, assignment or shift
- Workstation OS – workstation and cloud applications
- Mobile OS – setup
- Server OS – user management + user admin
- Network – wiring standards/methods and design/operation
- Workstation troubleshooting – advanced
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with voice, data, video and A/V systems and communications
- Customer service principles and techniques
- Computer and/or telecommunications operating systems, equipment, peripherals, and application packages
- Computer, network and telecommunications troubleshooting techniques
- Principles and methods of computer training and documentation
- Demonstrate technology proficiency at an advanced level
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance, observing a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as assigned
- Communicate in the English language by phone or in person in a one-to-one or group setting regarding technical or non-technical subjects
- Work cooperatively with other employees and the general public
- Learn job-related material through oral instruction and observation which may take place in an on-the-job training setting, and through reading
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material
- Successfully work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing work priorities
- Communicate well and work in a team environment
- Able to explain technical ideas and implications to non-technical customers
- Work with customers of all age, skill, and technical knowledge levels
- Display initiative, flexibility and receptiveness to ideas, changes and responsibilities
- Work effectively under deadlines or in stressful situations
- Work on several projects to meet deadlines by working independently or in a group setting
- Observe, compare, or monitor data to diagnose problems
- Input data or information into a computer or other keyboard device
- Maintain accurate records and logs
- Adept at troubleshooting complex or multi-variable problems, identifying root causes, and recommending solutions. Work independently within established procedures and policies
Individuals may be required to operate a vehicle. If so, they must be physically capable of operating vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
Relevant combinations of education and experience comparable to what would be achieved through six (6) years of formal advanced education and at least two (2) years of applicable work experience will be considered for this role.
- The library environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices, which includes the need for general safe workplace practices with office equipment and computers, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations
- Lift light objects (less than 20 pounds) and carry them short distances (20 feet or less)
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time while performing a variety of tasks
- Remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time
- Watch and read from a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Perform repetitive hand, arm, and body movements for significant periods during a work shift
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by an individual working in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
The Stark County District Library - The Smart Store, where everything is free®
Stark County District Library serves over 105,000 active cardholders, annually circulating 3.85 million items from its 1.4 million item collection and providing access to an additional 66 million items from lending networks throughout Ohio. Each year the library presents more than 9,000 programs for 170,000 attendees and provides 260,000 computer sessions on the publicly available computers found in each branch. The system consists of ten branches, including our main library, as well as a mobile services department.