Stark Library - Main Library
Facebook: Like Us
Mobile Device Help: 330.458.2750
Genealogy Services, extensive reference collections, original Stark County Probate Records, video games collection, foreign language collections, foundations/grants collection, black oral history, Canton High School yearbooks, braille materials, Friends of the Library book store, public computers, McKinley meeting room, drive up window, new book room, maker studio.
Here's a list of things you can do in the branch:
- Browse, return, and check out materials
- Access public computers - available by appointment or walk-in
- Pick up materials from our holds shelf
- Ask questions
- Reserve a meeting room
- Borrow from the Media box
- Personal Services – please see a staff member
- Computer assistance*
- Technology one-on-one
- Become a Friend of the Library | Main FOL Website | Main FOL Facebook Page
Stark Library traces its roots to the Spread Eagle Tavern, owned by James W. Lathrop, who assembled a collection of 30 books in 1816. The library moved several times from those humble beginnings, officially becoming the Canton Public Library in 1884. It took up residence in the Carnegie building on 3rd Street South in 1905. The Canton Public Library became the Stark County District Library in 1971, reflecting its service to much of Stark County. The library moved into its current building in 1978, the site was once William McKinley's house, and was the scene of his 1896 front porch campaign for President of the United States. During the campaign, McKinley addressed about 750,000 people who came to his home in Canton. The building was renovated to reflect its current configuration in 2001.