Frequent questions about library cards and borrowing procedures
A Stark Library card is one of the best values that you can own! Your local library transforms the community with free access to information, entertainment, and opportunities. Find an overview of our policies and procedures below, or you may contact us via live chat, send us an email, or call 330.452.0665.
Apply online — complete this form to get your online library card. Check out eMaterials immediately or pick up a physical card at any branch to check out physical materials.
Register by mail — print out this form (PDF - 112kb), complete and sign it and either mail it to us (see address on form) or return it to one of our many branches.
Both options will give you immediate access to the following resources:
- Access library databases and online resources
- Download electronic books and resources
- Request materials from our online catalog
- Log into your library account
In order to obtain a library card, a patron must present a valid photo ID (not a photocopy). This photo ID can be any official identification card that presents the patron's picture and name. Valid photo IDs include, but are not limited to: driver's license, State ID, Student ID, etc.
- Patrons 18 and over: Acceptable I.D.
- Patrons 17 and under: Parent or guardian must sign Library Card Application Parental Consent Form (Parent does not need to be present at time when card is issued; no I.D. is required.)
Library cards must be renewed every three years. At this time you must visit a library location to renew your card.
- School teachers
- Teacher aides
- Home educators
- School librarians
- Library Resource Center Technicians
- Teachers in nursery schools
- Teachers in child care centers or preschools
- Visit Educators Resources for more information on the loan policies.
Call or stop into the library to report the card as lost. For new cards, please come to the library with a valid I.D.
To change your contact information or preferred method of contact, log into your online account or ask a librarian. Please keep your information up-to-date so that you receive important notifications from the library:
|Notifications||Method of Contact|
|Holds and overdue items||email, phone, or text message|
|Item(s) that are four (4) weeks overdue||invoice via postal mail|
Stark Library Items
|DVDs & Video Games||7 days|
|Books, Audiobooks, CDs, Puppets, Magazines, Comics, Adventure Packs, Devices||14 days|
|Digital Items (return automatically on due date)|
|Hoopla eBooks, Audiobooks, Comics||21 days|
|Hoopla Music||7 days|
|Hoopla TV Shows, Movies||3 days|
|Libby (formerly Overdrive)||14 days|
|RBdigital (formerly Zinio)||Unlimited|
SearchOhio and OhioLINK Items
|Books, Audiobooks, CDs||21 days|
Up to 50 total items of any type may be borrowed per library card. Total item limit may differ for Educator cards, SearchOhio items and OhioLINK items.
Stark Library items may be renewed up to 20 times. An item may not be renewed if another customer has placed a hold on it. Some items may not be renewable. SearchOhio and OhioLINK items may be renewed 3 times. You may not renew items if unpaid fees exceed $25.00.
No fines are charged for overdue Stark Library items as long as they are returned within 4 weeks of the due date.
Fees will be charged for unreturned, lost, damaged, or missing items. You may not borrow or renew items if unpaid fees exceed $25.00.
SearchOhio overdue fine is $.50 per item per day (max $25.00). The replacement fee is $25.00.
OhioLINK overdue fine is $.50 per item per day (max $15.00). The replacement fee is $110.00.
How You Will Be Notified About Overdue Items
- Courtesy reminder by email or text two (2) days before an item is due.
- 1st Overdue Notice by phone, email, or text one (1) week after an item is due.
- 2nd Overdue Notice by phone, email, or text two (2) weeks after an item is due.
- 3rd Overdue Notice by phone, email, or text three (3) weeks after an item is due.
- Four (4) weeks overdue, an invoice will be mailed which will include the cost of the item plus a $5 processing fee.
- Customers who have a fee balance of $25 or more may be sent to the library's collection agency.
Account balances may be paid online or in person. All Stark Library locations accept cash, personal checks and major credit cards. Restrictions may apply.
No, you may return library materials to any Stark County Library Location, including book-drops and bookmobiles.
Access your library account and log in. Then, click on the Modify my PIN button and you'll be able to change your number. If you forgot your PIN number click on the Forgot Your PIN link and you'll be sent an email so that you can access your account. You'll then be able to change your PIN to a number.