Confidentiality of Library Records and Patron Information
Resolution 2019-59 | Approved December 23, 2019 by Library Board of Trustees; Effective February 1, 2020
It is the policy of the Stark County District Library to protect the privacy of those who use the library. Library employees and volunteers shall protect information from and about Library patrons, which includes requests for information and materials, online sites and resources accessed, and any borrowing transactions.
- Library records and patron information as they are defined in Ohio Revised Code 149.432 are confidential, and library records shall not be released nor shall patron information be disclosed except in compliance with O.R.C. 149.432 and only when such release or disclosure is expressly authorized by the Executive Director or his or her designee.
- The Library specifically recognizes any document, record, or other method of storing information retained, received, or generated by the Library that identifies a person or persons having requested, used, or borrowed library resources to be confidential. The Library shall not divulge such information to anyone other than those specifically designated under state law. Such records shall not be made available to any agency of state, federal, or local government except in exigent circumstances as defined by O.R.C. 149.322, or pursuant to such process, order, or subpoena as may be authorized under the authority of, and pursuant to, federal, state, or local law relating to civil, criminal, or administrative discovery procedures or legislative investigatory power.
- Library employees and volunteers understand that their access to patron transactions and collection files must be strictly limited to the conduct of legitimate library business.
- The Library does not create unnecessary records, only retains records required to fulfill the mission of the Library, and does not engage in practices that would place protected information in public view.
- While the Library must maintain records of information such as overdue and lost items, outstanding fines, and payments on patron accounts, these records are kept secure and are purged from the Library’s systems in a timely manner consistent with the Library’s retention schedule and when the information is no longer needed for business purposes.
- The Executive Director is authorized to implement procedures and guidelines consistent with this policy.
(O.R.C. = Ohio Revised Code)