Unattended Minor Policy
Resolution Number 2003-163; September 16, 2003 (Replaces March 19, 1996); Adopted Date: September 16, 2003
BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED by the Stark County District Library Board of Trustees that
1) The library welcomes and encourages patrons of all ages to visit the library and take advantage of the programs, services and resources which it offers.
2) The responsibility for the safety and behavior of minors in the library always rests with the parent, guardian or assigned adult caregiver and not with library personnel.The library reserves the right to determine when a minor must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or assigned adult caregiver.
3) The Director is authorized to implement procedures and guidelines consistent with this policy. These procedures and guidelines will be administered by designated library staff and Security.
Unattended Minor Procedures
effective June 10, 2011
Conduct Policy. This code of conduct was adopted with the purpose of creating a pleasant atmosphere for all of our customers and to ensure that everyone using the library may do so without disruption. This policy is to be applied to all situations, and all minors are subject to its enforcement while using the library’s services and attending library programs.
1) A minor, as defined in the Ohio Revised Code, is a person under eighteen years of age.
2) Any customers, including minors, demonstrating disruptive, disorderly or inappropriate behavior may be required to leave the library premises.
3) The library does not act in loco parentis (in place of parents). A parent or guardian is responsible for monitoring the activities and managing the behavior and safety of children during their Library visits.
The following procedures will be implemented if a minor exhibits inappropriate or disruptive behavior, as written in the library’s Customer Code of Conduct:
1) Minors will be advised by staff and/or the Security Officer, when behavior is becoming disruptive and/or inappropriate.
2) If the disruptive behavior continues, the library will make every effort to contact the parent/guardian and advise them that the minor is about to be evicted and that said minor will need a ride home. If the library is unable to contact the parent/guardian, the library reserves the right to evict the minor and/or contact the police or other appropriate authority. The minor may be asked to wait outside of the library.
3) If a minor is asked to leave the library on multiple occasions he or she may be suspended for a longer period of time.
The following procedures will be followed if a minor is left unattended after the library closes:
1) The minor should call a parent/caregiver/responsible party as soon as notification is given that the library is closing.
2) If after 30 minutes, no one comes to pick up the minor, the Police or Child Protective Services will be called by either library staff or Security.
3) No staff member will ever take a minor home.
member will ever take a minor home.