Explore and Play Together at the Library with Play and Learn Centers
April 20, 2017 (Canton, Ohio) – Stark County District Library offers Play and Learn Centers in each
branch for parents, educators and caregivers to discover and learn with the child in their life.
Each Play and Learn Center is designed to expand children’s cognitive, social, emotional, language and
motor abilities with toys and activities that promote exploration, problem-solving, and creativity.
Parents and caregivers are encouraged to play with their children. The kits rotate between each branch
on a monthly basis.
The library has thirteen kits available with a range of activities for children of all ages and interests. Kits
- Grocery Kit
- Kit includes a Melissa and Doug grocery stand that transforms into a lemonade stand, cash
- register and play fruit and vegetables.
- Dollhouse Kit
- Kit includes a multi-season dollhouse, poseable family members, furniture and dishes.
- Nature Kit
- Kit includes a camping play set, tent, plush campfire, explorer binoculars and more.
- Sensory Play Kit
- Kit includes a light table, sensory blocks, monster bowling and other sensory activities.
- Music Kit
- Kit includes musical instruments such as rhythm bells, rainshakers, a Ukulele and more.
- Science Kit
- Kit includes a real bug discovery kit, gear builders, solar system floor puzzle and more fun
- science activities.
- Transportation Kit
- Kit includes a race track rug, wooden cars, garbage recycling truck and other transportation
- inspired activities.
- Block Kits
- Kit includes a jumbo blocks set, lacing set, Playstix and more.
- Large Motor Kit
- Kit includes activities to develop large motor skills such as a hopscotch rug, alphabet bowling,
- ring toss and more.
- Tool Kit
- Kit includes a Craftsman tool bench, giant nuts and bolts, design and drill activity center and tool
- Post Office Kit
- Kit includes a Melissa and Doug mailbox, wood stamps, envelopes and postcards.
- Laundry Kit
- Kit includes a washing machine, ironing board, laundry basket and sundries.
- Kitchen Kit
- Kit includes a play kitchen and cooking utensils. Due to popularity, each branch location has one
- available at all times.
“We’ve had great feedback—families are following their favorite kits from branch to branch,” said Julia
Shaheen, Literacy Manager for Stark County District Library. “Children learn best through play. It
encourages their problem solving and social skills and sets the stage for early literacy skills.”
The Play and Learn centers are another of the many efforts at the Library to enable educators,
caregivers, and families to help children “Start Smart” by developing early literacy skills. It’s all part of
how the Library is reimagining itself as The Smart Store®.
Play and Learn Centers are free and available in all branches. Please call 330-452-0665 or visit your local
branch for more information.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
One of the 9 largest library systems in Ohio – and the county’s oldest library – Stark County District
Library serves the community through 10 locations, six mobile libraries, and a 24/7 digital branch.
A 2009 winner of the prestigious National Medal for library service, the Library serves over 110,000
active cardholders, annually circulating 3.85 million items from its 1.4 million item collection and
providing access to an additional 66 million items from lending networks throughout Ohio. Each year the
library presents more than 9,000 programs for 170,000 attendees and provides 260,000 computer
sessions on the publicly available computers found in each branch.
Today, as it reimagines itself as The Smart Store, where everything is free®, the Library is emerging as a
national thought-leader with innovations such as its “no overdue fines” policy, the BikeSmart bike
sharing network, and the Start Smart School Partnership.
For more information, call 330.452.0665 or visit http://www.starklibrary.org.
# # #
Stark County District Library: Start Smart. Stay Smart. Share Smart.